Friday, February 09, 2007

Equilibrium

I thought I would relate an incident from yesterday. I still laugh when I think about it – I just hope it works in writing, although I don’t have a great deal of confidence that it will.

John went to work as usual, since the trains were running (by some miracle). Björn went off to his girlfriend’s house on foot. This left Torvy and me at home. I was working via remote access, but Torvy was most disconsolate, since he had hoped to go to a friend’s house, but this fell through.

Once I had achieved my main goals for the morning, I decided to take a break and go and have a snowball fight with the lad. We were becoming increasingly energetic (I have a stiff throwing arm today, as evidence), when I took a snowball full in the face. “Hang on, Torvy,” I said, “I just need a moment to recover my equilibrium,” (an expression we use a lot in the family). But before I had even finished speaking, Torvy had shoved a snowball down my neck, producing an earsplitting shriek.

Less than a minute later, I took a very large snowball right in the eyes, and the crystals scratched my eyeballs something fierce (still sore today). I was standing there, hands over my eyes, totally unable to see, when my incorrigible son said with every semblance of concern, “Sorry, Mom. Do you need a moment to recover your equilibriaaaargh?”

You can imagine that this will be the norm, now. No-one will recover their equilibrium ever again. It will ever more be equilibriaaaaargh. What a goblin!

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home