Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tying up a loose end

I was reading back through this blog and I came across the post in which I fulminated about my university fees. I thought it only polite to bring you up to date on that situation, since I'm sure you've been having sleepless nights worrying about it ;-)

I managed to strike a deal with the head of finance. Because the error had been theirs, the UK fee structure would stand, pending my producing evidence of "indefinite leave to remain" by end Jan. As you know, this arrived in mid-December, so I was able to fulfill this requirement. I am now legally on the same fee structure as everyone else.

John is in New York at the moment. Tomorrow night he is going to see his favourite ice hockey team (the New Jersey Devils) play an NHL game. His colleague over there is treating him. They will be sitting centre ice, seven rows from the front. It doesn't get much better than that. He is recognisable as a hockey player himself at the moment, thanks to a telltale cut across the bridge of his nose. They regularly get cut just in that spot - it's where the helmet hits when they smash into something

The boys went back to school yesterday. Björn went keenly, since he could show off his ear, which has brought him plenty of derision, I understand. Torvy went less eagerly. He has never liked school, thanks to a bit of a rough start in September 99 when he was a year behind everyone else and had to bust a gut to catch up.

I went back to work last Tuesday (2 Jan) and made it all the way to lunch before admitting defeat. I had started coming down with what I thought was a cold on New Year's eve, but by Tuesday I was feeling awful. My eyeballs ached and burned and my neck ached so much I was loathe to move my head. I dragged my sorry butt back home and took to my bed. I only felt well enough to return to work yesterday, and even then I was fading by the afternoon. The worst is over, but I'm still short of breath and coughing "productively". I seem to have escaped lightly, though - many people I know have been out of circulation for two weeks or more with this thing.

Not a cheerful note to end on, but scroll back up to the top for a reminder that things are actually positive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home