Thursday, July 06, 2006

A hectic week

This week, John has been at a church leaders' conference in Brighton, so I have been playing single parent. I haven't been doing it very well, mind, because I have had to do a lot of travelling myself, and have been late home almost every night. I have started a new project at work and it has incredibly tight time frames, so I've been running around like a headless chicken trying to meet all the SMEs (subject matter experts, not small-to-medium enterprises) and stakeholders, so that I can get started with the design and build. It's a bit like herding cats, because there is a very large group of people to be interviewed and they're all busy with more work than they can handle.

Torvy was away on a school outing for two days, and has returned to attend a two day familiarisation at the high school he will atend with Björn from September. I had to ask someone I have only just met to collect him from his current school when he returned from the trip, because I was in Reading and everyone we know well enough to ask was away at the conference in Brighton. Then I had to get him to hang around at the school for half an hour after today's session, so that Björn could walk him home, because I was in Reading again. Tomorrow he will have to go in with Björn and wait for an hour until his session starts (fortunately several of his friends are in the same boat) and then wait again at the end of his session for Björn to finish up half an hour later. This time it's because I am going to a conference on e-learning games and simulations in London.

For my trips to Reading, I got the office manager to get me a hire car. When I got to Reading, I discovered the road tax disc was out of date, and I ran the risk of having the car clamped and getting stranded. For the past two days, I have had the "privilege" of experience first hand, just how severe inefficiency can be in the service industry, as the office manager and I have both tried to get the matter resolved. Heaven help me: I have three trips down there again next week, for which I will again require a hire car, and we have a contract with this supplier. Oh joy.

I was hoping Torvy would be all enthusiasm at the prospect of high school, never having quite taken to primary, but sadly his response is a non-committal shrug. "Yeah, it was okay." Considering that they pull out all the stops to make these days as exciting as possible, this is not a hopeful start!

In the middle of this week of absentee Dad, over-busy mother and attention-grabbing-scheduled brother, Björn quietly went and won another 200m event, knocking .9s off his previous best time. I am so proud of him, I could fly. This was the district event this time. He has obviously suddenly figured it out, this sprinting lark, and he's loving it.

He's so self-sufficient, it's easy just to let him get on with it, and focus on the things that aren't going well, but that wouldn't be in his best interests. We have to discipline ourselves not just to focus where remedial action is required.

John should be back by the time the kids get back from school tomorrow, which they will enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home