Friday, May 18, 2007

Gutted! No conference for Karyn

I have just learned from my boss that my request to attend the Innovations in Learning conference in California in September has been turned down. I was almost ready to sell a body part to go, but sadly my zeal was not matched by that of the higher ups in my organisation. :-(

John is urging me to tot up the total cost and see if we can't make it happen without their help, but I can't see it, myself. In corporate terms it's a small amount of money, but for an inividual, the seminar costs, plus the travel, plus the airfare... well it all adds up.

Whenever I broach the subject of a conference or seminar, I am always reminded how my company already pays for my MA. Well, just to get it off my chest, I would like to mention that they only pay half. So far, the cost to them has been about £50/month, which they probably write off against tax anyway. Plus they aren't doing this as a gift to me out of the goodness of their hearts. They fully expect to benefit from every scrap of learning that I undertake, whether they have paid for it or not. And, of course, they will. I can't exactly keep newly learned ideas and approaches in a separate compartment from my daily practice. They benefit from all the learning and experience I had before I joined the company. They will benefit from all the learning and experience I have while I am with the company. They will only stop benefitting from all of this the day I leave, and, in fact, if that happens to be before or less than 12 months after the completion of my MA, I have to reimburse them anyway, so they're in a win-win situation.

Aargh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home