Saturday, May 05, 2007

Two stories about cars

Recently I had to travel through to London for meeting with my boss. The meeting didn't go as well as I had hoped, so when I got back to my car at the station and found that it had been "keyed" all along the rear door and fender on the passenger side, I felt sick and hollow. I have reported the matter to the police, but I didn't see any CCTV cameras in the parking lot, so I don't expect much. Whoever did it had obviously had a field day, because several other cars in the parking lot had been done as well. Charming.

On the flip side, later that day, the car hire company delivered the car I was to use for a business trip down to Reading the next day. I always use a hire car for these trips (a) because it's the cheapest option for the company - we have such a good deal with the car hire company that it's cheaper than paying me 40p per mile for the use of my car, and (b) because I don't like racking up that kind of mileage on my car - you see, I take good care of it, which is why the vandalism bothered me so much. But I digress...

Usually, the hire car is a Nissan Micra, or a Ford Ka, Vauxhall Corsa or some other roller skate. The previous time, I had been given a Vauxhall Astra, and had been pretty pleased with that. This time, they only rolled in in a Renault Megane convertible! I kid you not. I had to be shown how to use the roof and the weird credit-card-instead-of-a-key thing.

The next day the weather didn't look too great to start with, and I thought, "Great, the one time in my life I get to drive a convertible and I can't put the top down." But half way to Reading, the sun was out. The route I take includes a tree-lined lane, where the branches meet overhead. As it is, I usually wind up with an idiotic grin on my face as I drive along that section of the route, but picture this: There I was swanning along like a poser, with the top down, the music up and the smell of the trees everywhere. Too cool. Too cool.

I spent 6 hours in Reading, waiting for a meeting that didn't happen, and left the office in a foul mood. But then I got into that car and hit the buttons for the roof and the radio, and all was suddenly right with my world. I made the two hour trip back home in the sunshine, singing at the top of my voice, much to the amusement of several other motorists.

Sometimes it doesn't take much. I certainly recommend that everyone, at least once in their life, should drive a convertible in the sun with the top down. If the wind bothers you, close the windows - it works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home