Thursday, September 14, 2006

Karyn's Master's degree

I start my course on Tuesday next week. I tell you what, though: for a world-renowned university, they are seriously disorganised and totally out of touch with the real world. I spoke to my head of department on Tuesday and learned for the first time that there are all sorts of induction activities scheduled for Tues and Wed next week. Since I didn't know about them, I haven't arranged to have any time off, and it's a bit late, now! She (the HoD) was puzzled that I couldn't drop everything and attend anyway. She was sighing over my lack of commitment to the programme because I can only attend one evening of lectures a week. I've told her that I work full time, but perhaps it hasn't sunk in that, not being a teacher (unlike most of the others), my working day is longer and I don't get the school holidays. Perhaps she doesn't have kids of her own, either, since she doesn't seem to appreciate the additional demands of a family. And as for my commitments at church... why don't I just move my cell meetings to another night, and do I have to attend them (well, yes, since we lead the group)? I don't know.

So as I said, I start my course next week, but I have yet to have a meeting with a tutor to plan which modules I'm going to do when...

If I actually come out of this with a Master's degree in Educational Studies and not a BSc in plate spinning, it will be a bit of a miracle, I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home